Your Node-RED Instance
How to access your instance
After logging in to FRED, you will be redirected to the FRED dashboard. You will be able to manage your Node-RED instance from here.
The sidebar contains everything you need to manage your FRED instance. Your instance can be started by clicking the green “Start Instance” button either on the sidebar or on the right hand side.
The console output of your instance can be accessed by clicking the “console” button in the sidebar. This can be used to debug any problems with your instance.
Why did my instance stop?
Occasionally, your Node-RED instance may be stopped or restarted without any warning. This can be due to a variety of reasons including but not limited to:
- A bad node configuration in your flows causing your instance to crash.
- A bug in one of the nodes in your flow, especially common for function nodes.
- You’ve gone above your instance limits.
- Your instance is taking up too much memory and/or other system resources.
- We stopped it manually for maintenance or to deploy a new version of FRED (we will attempt restart your instance when our job is complete, this is rare usually takes less than 30 minutes).
Debugging and possible solutions to crashed instances:
- View the console output and find out if and which node is causing the crash and fix it or remove the node.
- Make sure any function nodes used are not throwing errors.
- Wait awhile and try to start your instance again.
- If the methods above do not work or is unavailable, contact us.
In addition to the limits below, all instances are also given a limit on the amount of system resources that they can consume.
Free Tier - FRED Short
Our free tier comes with several restrictions:
Your instance will automatically be stopped after 24 hours if it is not accessed. However your account and flows will not be changed or removed. Every time you log into FRED, this timer will be reset.
You may only have a maximum of 50 nodes running in your flows. This number is displayed on the sidebar by the “Node Count” field. If you exceed this node count you will have some time to remove nodes from your instance before it is turned automatically stopped. Comment nodes are exempt from this count.
You will not be able to enable public access to your Node-RED UI dashboard.
Subscription - FRED Tall
If you are subscribed to your FRED Tall plan, will you have the following benefits:
Your instance will not be turned off after 24 hours.
The amount of nodes you have have running in your flows is tripled to 150.
You have the option to enable public access to your Node-RED UI dashboard page through your FRED dashboard. This allows others to view your Node-RED dashboard page
https://fred.sensetecnic.com/public/<YOUR_USERNAME>/ui/without logging into your FRED account.
Please contact us if you have use cases with special requirements or if you have any other questions.